HG IBO 1/144 Gundam Astaroth Origin Review

Last time I had this kit was last year... but it was customized to become the Deviance. Now I've bought this guy once again because.... I miss the damn sledgehammer.


To the review-actually a bit of backstory first. As its name implies, this version of Astaroth is its original form, after Argi Mirage and its owner, Volco Warren fought their way to recover the parts.

This Origin had to become its current form, the asymmetrical one, thanks to a scandal in the family that hit their economic condition, forcing them to sell Astaroth Origin's armor and parts. These parts would make their way to different machines, with the most of them had found their way to Rosario Leone and gave birth to Gundam Vual. However, before this Gundam can reach its original form it has to become the Gundam Astaroth Rinascimento first.... which will supposedly be released this July.


To the actual review, Astaroth Origin is an all-red mobile suit with some white color apps for the chest vents, collar, and antenna. Some stickers are used on the forearms, calf thrusters, and the back of the feet. And those inverse V patterns on each upper legs.

Front&Rear View


Again, articulations are the same for all Gundam Frames. Be it Frame 1, 2, or 4 its the same thing. 3 is an exception since it doesn't have a shoulder frame.

A straight build of this kit makes a fierce presentation of the Gundam, and a bit goofy thanks to the shouldet wings but I'll get to that later in the gimmicks section. The bulk of this Gundam doesn't hinder any articulations, and that's a plus.

On mine, the V-fin.. wait hold on, is that even a V-fin? Whatever, it keeps falling off the head whenever I move it, which is pretty annoying.

I forgot to tell you that I've bought this for a reasonable IDR 190K while I was having a vacation in Bandung... and back home I assembled it while I was on crack causing me to finish it faster than Sanic xD

No nippers, no pen knives, just my hands and a large cutter knife! XD


Comparison with Gundam Vual


As you can see, ladies and gentlemen, this was why I told you to get teh Astaroth Origin instead. You get me? I kinda hate asymmetry. But for the upcoming Rinascimento, that's not so bad. What did you say mate? Rinascimento man, not Despacito!!

Anyway, as you can see, the backpack differs a lot, while Astaroth Origin has a tail on its backpack, Vual had the tail cut off. And Vual's left knee has this bulk of an armor attached while Origin's knees are flat.


Accessories&Gimmicks

All that came with Astaroth Origin was.....


These. Really. But what you see is actually THREE weapons in one binder and body. I'll now separate the weapons for closer inspection.


First we have the sledgehammer. I missed this weapon so badly since I've lost my other Origin's sledgehammer way back when. This is a pretty nice hammer compared to Gusion's where it's all about the bulk and crushing power but not gimmick and mobility. And yes, to support its weight, the cable comes to play by plugging itself to the handle pommel as illustrated above. If you have a loose wrist, that cable will really help.

This hammer, my friend, is just a mask for something that could be a nightmare for many mobile suits to come... 



... by I mean a mask, the sledgehammer is actually a freaking scabbard for the Nanolaminate Sword! Not only it has a savage panel lining, but by the power of the cable on its forearm, it can utilize compressed Ahab Waves to destroy nanolaminated armors! Althought only few examples are successful since its a hardcore difficulty to compress Ahab Waves.


Next we have the shotgun with the angled handle. I've always loved guns with angled handles like this. This is where the angled hand part comes to play, as you can see. If only it had double barrels... the Gundam could be the next Doomguy.


The binder itself goes to the waist. Sadly this is for the left side only. I find it a bit odd to have this contraption for a holster since the left arm would be hindered by the sledgehammer... but at least its not as odd as Vual's where you had to store a hammer with a long handle at the waist.

This Gundam has a cool gimmick which reminds me of Justice Gundam and Hekija, too.


And here we have its Flight Form. This reminds me of Justice's Fatum-00 backpack, only integrated to the Gundam and not functioning as a backpack. This has the aerodynamic sense, yes but this mode is gonna make some poses look awkward.


Action











Verdict


Astaroth Origin makes for one of the greatest IBO kits to be ever released. Sure, it doesn't have much, bit with creativity, this guy could become the Justice Gundam of Iron-Blooded Orphans or the Hi-nu Gundam Influx of IBO. Of which, I've planned this guy to become both while I was still in Bandung.

I definitely recommend this kit for everybody, given that it has a pretty simple build. Its simple, but comes out great.

And this wraps up the review for the 29th Duke of Hell. As always, see you next time.


-Fin




But wait!! I didn't come to Bandung for only a single kit... here, I'll give a bit of a spoiler for my next review.



Comments

Popular Posts